Posted on 7/8/2020 in Digital Marketing
By Charlotte Spencer
Digital marketing has taken over traditional marketing channels. Our customers have grown accustomed to engaging and interacting with businesses in real-time. If you have not focused your marketing efforts on digital, now is the time to jump in!
So what is Digital Marketing anyway?
Merriam-Webster does not have a definition for Digital Marketing (I checked!) But Wikipedia does and defines it as: “Digital marketing is the component of marketing that utilizes internet and online-based digital technologies such as desktop computers, mobile phones and other digital media and platforms to promote products and services.” My loose translation is: Digital marketing is advertising delivered through digital channels.
There are many channels in which the digital marketing net covers. Some examples are:
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Social Media Marketing
- Pay Per Click (PPC)
- Affiliate Marketing
- Content Marketing
- Email Marketing
Why is Digital Marketing important to my business?
Since 87 percent of the US population uses the internet, your digital marketing should be a major portion of your marketing dollars and efforts to reach your target audience. Just having a website is no longer enough. If you want to grow your business, you must incorporate digital marketing to reach people where they are spending their time and money.
Knowing your audience is the key to reaching them online. You need to understand which platforms your potential customers use when they are researching a problem and looking for a product or service to solve it. For example, do your prospective customers spend more time on Twitter or LinkedIn or reading personalized emails? Doing your research will help you understand which platform is their go-to, allowing you to focus your efforts on reaching them.
Digital marketing also has the ability to dissect demographics and allow for hyper-focused targeting. You can target by location, demographic, or even at a particular education or income level. This eliminates wasteful spending, allowing your marketing budget to be spent in the right places effectively.
Another important benefit of digital marketing is it has the potential to level the playing field for a small business. It can allow you to hold a top-ranking position in the SERP (search engine result pages). When managed effectively, your small advertising budget can be laser-focused and well-optimized which can potentially allow you to position yourself near the top of SERPs.
This begs the question, where do you start or how do you know what to focus on? You cannot be a master at every channel, at least not initially. Start with a few and spend your time mastering those. It’s best to have an online strategy that tackles your goals one at a time.
I have assembled some stats that are worth looking into for getting inspiration for your online strategy:
- Google receives over 75,000 searches per second (Databox)
- 90% of searchers haven’t made their mind up about a brand before starting their search. (Search Engine Watch)
- B2B e-commerce sales are expected to outgrow B2C e-commerce sales by 2020 (Ecommerce Platforms)
- 67% of all clicks go to the first five organic results (Databox)
- About 64% of marketers actively invest time in search engine optimization (SEO). (HubSpot, 2020) (Source: https://www.hubspot.com/marketing-statistics)
- A 1-second delay in your site speed can reduce conversions by up to 7%. (Neil Patel)
- 77% of B2B purchasers won’t speak to a salesperson until they’ve done their own research. (Corporate Executive Board)
- Only 17% of marketers use landing page A/B tests to improve conversion rates. (HubSpot, 2020) (Source: https://www.hubspot.com/marketing-statistics)
- Local searches lead 50% of mobile users to visit stores within one day. (Google)
- 64.6% of people click on Google ads when they are looking to buy an item online (Wordstream)
Businesses need to utilize a forward-thinking well-planned digital marketing strategy to stay ahead of the competition. Being the easiest and fastest way to reach your target audience makes it the perfect way to help your customers start interacting and ultimately, the buying process with YOU!
Employing a well crafted digital marketing strategy that yields the ROI you are looking for is not easy. If you would like to learn how Wakefly can help you grow your business, please reach out! We would love to start a conversation with you.
Wakefly has recently been named one of DesignRush's Top Digital Marketing Agencies Of 2020 and Top B2B Digital Marketing Agencies Of 2020. It would be our pleasure to partner with you!
Struggling to get more visitors to your site?Get Your Free Audit
Optimize Your Website
As a musician of about 30 years now, I've worn many hats as both a performer and on the business side of the industry.One constant that I continue to [...]