Twitter might seem like a waste of time and only a tool for friends to keep in touch. But Twitter is invaluable for business because the 140-character messages can include a website link shortened using websites like bit.ly and tinyurl.
Businesses can use these tools in a variety of ways:
- Driving Website Traffic. Tweets can be written to get readers to click on a listed Web address. Now, the exposure is doubled because tweets now appear regularly in search engines results from Google.
- It is Free. Creating an account does not cost a cent; the only expense is time.
- Staying Up-to-Date. Breaking-news events can spread throughout the world in a matter of seconds, so following Twitter users in your industry is a good way to keep abreast of the news while you are doing social-media marketing.
- Staying Informed. Following thought-leaders in your sector — and even your competitors, clients, and partners — is a good way to learn valuable information and the latest trends.
- Reinforcing a Brand. Highlight tweets with your ideas, opinions, and expertise will promote your brand among your followers. By making a great first impression, loyal followers will be gained.
- Staying in Touch. Twitter is a fast way to keep in touch with current and prospective clients. Since others can retweet (forward) your posts on Twitter, it helps with viral marketing.
- Sharing Information. Retweeting a message about something your followers would like is a way to build your reputation — it shows that you are on Twitter not only to benefit yourself.