I am still a newbie to the PPC world, having only been at it for a couple of months, but last night I already had my first dream about it. What does this mean exactly? Am I officially a PPC expert? Am I at a point that I am eating, breathing, and dreaming PPC? Was I just thinking about writing this blog so much that it slipped into my unconscious while I was sleeping? Well I’m not exactly sure what it means, but let me tell you, it is a strange feeling to wake up in morning after dreaming about CTRs, Quality Scores, and Sitelink Extensions. Sitelinks are what I want to discuss in this blog. In my brief experience so far, I have found Sitelinks to be an extremely helpful tool. There are several benefits to Sitelink Ad Extensions:
- Increase the Overall Size of Your Ad – By simply adding Sitelinks, you can expand your coverage of the search engine results page. Sitelinks will stretch your ads to physically cover more space on the page, pushing your competitors’ ads further down than normal. This increased ad space will also make your company look more important and relevant.
- Give You an Opportunity to Have Seven Ads in one – Sitelinks follow the same format as normal text ads. It is possible for Google to be showing 2, 4, or 6 Sitelinks at one time. So, in the situations where 6 Sitelinks are showing, it is like having seven different ads where you would normally have one. Talk about bang for your buck!
- Have Higher CTRs – In my experience Sitelinks have higher CTRs than the actual ads. Each Sitelink is a chance to connect to a landing page that is more relevant to a potential customer. When all 6 of your Sitelinks are showing that is 6 more chances for your ad to be relevant to a potential customer. More relevance can lead to higher CTRs.
- Lead to Higher Quality Scores – We know, or at least we think we know that CTRs are part of the formula for Quality Score. Higher CTRs lead to higher Quality Scores. So, if Sitelinks increase the CTRs of your ad like I mentioned before, then they must also help improve your Quality Score.
- Increase Brand Awareness – Often times your Sitelinks will be to pages like “About Us” or “Contact Us” which encourage people to click and learn more about your company. Once they learn more about you they are more likely to remember you. The more people remember you the more they can talk about you. The more they talk about you the more others will learn about you. The more that happens the higher your brand awareness will be.
These are just some of the benefits of adding Sitelink Extensions to your ads. It is difficult to separate the benefits into different categories because they all seem to be intertwined together. The benefits of Sitelinks are like one big positive domino effect. I will leave you with a couple of important things to keep in mind when creating Sitelinks. Sitelinks are written in the same format as text ads. You have a headline that can be up to 25 characters and then two descriptions lines that contain 35 characters each. Use the space wisely. Like I mentioned earlier this is your opportunity to fit seven different ads into one spot. The final thing to remember is that if you are creating Sitelinks for time sensitive programs make sure you remove them when that time period is over. It looks really bad when June 5th rolls around and there are still Sitelinks showing that say sign up for such and such a program by April 15th. Hopefully the benefits of Sitelinks that I have pointed out will make you go out and refocus on them. Take your time coming up with awesome Sitelinks, it is definitely worth it!