Coming up with a topic to write about, especially for a PPC blog, could quite possibly be the MOST DIFFICULT THING EVER! Well maybe not ever, I’m pretty sure moving that giant rock might be more difficult, but you get what I mean. Blogs are an increasingly popular way to get your message across the internet. The actual writing part is not very difficult. Stringing some sentences together and formatting a document is pretty basic stuff. The hard part, the part that gives me a headache, the part that seems simple but causes me severe stomach issues, is actually coming up with a topic. In this post I will give you 5 ways to come up with a blog topic. Let me help you end the headache and indigestion today.
- Ask Your Peers – Have you been staring at a blank word document for hours and can’t think of anything to write about? Stand up and ask your peers at work for ideas. Say something like, “Hey guys I need to write a blog post by 10 a.m. today and I can’t think of a topic for the life of me, any ideas?” You are bound to get a few topic ideas from the group. They won’t all be great ideas, in fact a lot of them will stink (don’t tell them that), but there should be at least one topic in there worth writing about.
- Check Out Other Blogs – Scour other blog posts that pertain to your field for hot topics. Chances are if the industry leaders are writing about a topic, it is something that your audience wants or needs to know. I’m not saying to copy and paste passages from each of these blogs, attach your name to the bottom and call it your own. This is not a high school English paper people. Find a hot topic and then give your own take.
- Write About New Product Releases or Improvements – AdWords comes out with new offerings or “improvements” (I use that word loosely) all the time. These are a gold mine for blog post topic ideas. Anytime something new happens people are bound to freak out. Write about how to utilize these new products. Write about the good or bad things about the product. Write about how much you love or hate Google because of the changes. There are countless things to discuss with any new product release or improvement. Try your best to let people know the sky isn’t falling and use your expertise to talk them through the changes.
- Write About a Webinar or Event You Attend – I personally find this method the easiest way to come up with a PPC blog topic. Most of the time when you attend a webinar or seminar it is to gain new knowledge relevant to your field, and other times it’s for the free food and drinks. Whatever your reason for attending you are likely to absorb at least some of the information. Don’t keep this new knowledge to yourself, share it with the world! What better way to share it than with a well written blog post.
- Review a Piece of Literature or a Video Post – Did an industry leader just write a new book or post a video describing their methods or a new trend in the field? Read or watch it, and then write about it. Google recently released an 8 minute video in which Google Chief Economist Hal Varian discusses the Advertising Auction. I can’t even count how many blog posts (I guess technically I could) popped up about that video after its release. Everyone wanted to get out their thoughts and opinions on the matter, including one of Wakefly’s very own. This is a great way to come up with a relevant blog topic that is sure to move the needle.
Hopefully in the future when you are having a brain cramp and can’t decide what to write your PPC blog about, you can think back to this post and come up with a great topic.